Mel has this obsession with these raw, vegan energy bars. I’m not denying that they’re delicious, but at 2€ a pop for a bar that provides you with no more than three meager bites…. I’d say they’re all hype with a high price tag.
Still, I’m not one to tell my man “no”. I am however one to take a sneak peak at the back of the packaging to see if they’re smuggling gold into the bars & that’s why they’re robbing us blind for them.
Nope, no gold in them either.
I did get to see though that the bars were made up of five ingredients. All things I could pronounce too.
I decided to make my own version with four ingredients instead, and I’ll be damned if they aren’t better than the original bars. They even look better too.
I have a satisfied man. The wallet hasn’t been depleted. & I can make as many as I want whenever I want.
- 200g dates, de-pitted
- 50g raisins
- 100g almond paste
- 50g ground almonds
- 30g cocoa +more for dusting
1. place the dates, raisins & almond paste together in your food processor & blend until it has all become a creamy mess. Remove from the blender & add in the cocoa & ground almonds.
2. mix until it is all completely & thoroughly combined.
3. roll into balls the size of un-shelled walnuts & place on a baking tray lined with parchment. Place in your oven for 2 hours @ 50C. This is just to dry them out a little, not to cook them.
4. once the time is up, remove them from the oven & allow them to cool before dusting with cocoa. Keep in an air tight container in a cool dark place for up to 2 weeks.
……..for a full history of our recipes, check out our archives. For the more sensitive tummies, check out our gluten-free archives….. and if you’re just interested in something pretty, check out our designed page.