It’s cold, it’s raining, the wind is blowing & I can’t feel my toes. I think it’s safe to say winter is finally here.
Not that I’m complaining. Me, complain? Never! (yea, right!)
I’m just simply stating a fact.
I can’t be held responsible for the fact that such weather induces comfort baking habits, or the fact that such habits may cause one to undo their top trouser button. Or in my case, untie my PJ bottoms. What? It’s cold, my PJs are warm, I didn’t want to get out of them today, the rest of my clothes were just so cooooold to the touch! Don’t judge me, it’s no big deal I swear!
Does it make you feel better that these are gluten free, egg free, dairy free & vegan?
No? Me either.
I’m chalking it down to cravings & I’m going to enjoy every single mouthful.
Before I spill on the recipe though, I do want to take a moment & have you admire my cake stand. The one I’ve so wonderfully used to display my rolls on.
I bought it from a friend who’s got a deliciously marvelous antique shop online called Wanstead Homewares. You really should check it out. One of these days I’ll convince her to do a guest post here for us since she’s quite the chef herself & is strictly gluten-free & vegan. Kind of perfect huh.
Anyway, enough from me, this is what you’ve all been waiting for….
Ingredients: (makes 7-9)
- 3 tbs flaxseed meal
- 135ml (9 tbs) boiling water
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tbs active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 60ml (0.25 cup) warm water
- 185g (1 cup) potato starch (not flour)
- 75g (0.5 cup) tapioca flour
- 65g (0.5 cup) arrow root
- 85g (0.5 cup) millet flour
- 90g (0.5 cup) sweet rice flour
- 60g (0.25 cup) sugar
- 0.75 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250ml (1 cup) almond milk, room temp
1. preheat the oven to 80C (160F).
2. combine the flaxseed & boiling water in a cup, stir & set aside to thicken. It should have the consistency of a beaten egg once it’s done.
3. combine the warm water, sugar, honey & yeast in a cup, stir & allow to froth & activate for 10 minutes.
4. fit your stand mixer with a dough hook. In the bowl of the mixer, combine all the dry ingredients & whisk them together to make sure they are thoroughly blended. Create a well in the centre & pour in the almond milk, flaxseed mixture & yeast mixture. Set the mixer speed to low & allow it work until all the dry ingredients have been incorporated with the wet.
5. line a baking tray with parchment & used a 1/3 cup measurer to spoon out the dough. Make sure there’s about 7cm (3in) between each dough mound>
6. place the tray in the oven & allow the dough to rise for an hour. Once the dough has risen, turn the temperature up to 175C (350F) & bake 25 minutes.
7. remove from the oven & place on a wire rack to cool.
………Or, eat immediately & slathered with butter & honey!! (which clearly makes them no longer vegan)
adapted from: the gluten-free spouse
……..for a full history of our recipes, check out our archives. For the more sensitive tummies, check out our gluten-free archives….. and if you’re just interested in something pretty, check out our designed page.