I’m ashamed so say someone asked me to put up a recipe for strawberry & champagne cupcakes months ago….. and I’ve been procrastinating.
It would seem every time I got even close to making them, I had a craving for something else. Something different.
Then, by chance, I found a whole bunch of frozen strawberries at my local grocers & finally I found the inspiration. It first took the form of a strawberry puree, you know, the one I went on & on & on about a week ago. I don’t know why but that alone made me happy. After that, well, let’s just say I made more cupcakes than we could eat.
Let’s see, the first batch didn’t rise correctly because someone (me) forgot to put in the rising agent.
The second batch, I found mauled & decapitated by a stray cat that we’ve affectionately named Ninja… she’s decided that we belong to her on a part time basis & now insists on teasing Loki, our 2 month old German Shepherd. Yea, can’t say I was pleased when I found her on the kitchen counter with pink cake stuck to her fur & claws.
…..and then finally we made it to the third batch. The rose, I managed to save them from Ninja, and Mel didn’t manage to eat them all before I could snap a shot. Not bad huh?
They were so moist. So deliciously moist. & flavorful. I think I may need to make a cake variation. Not now though.
Ingredients, cupcake: (makes 12)
- 100g unsalted butter, room temp
- 150g sugar
- 180g gluten-free all purpose white flour blend
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 80ml strawberry puree
- 160ml heavy cream
1. place the butter, sugar, flour, salt & baking powder in a bowl & blend with either a stand mixer or hand held mixer until it resembles a fine sand.
2. in a separate bowl, combine the eggs, lemon juice & strawberry puree & beat until mixed. Add the wet mix to the flour blend & beat until smooth & slightly lighter in colour. Lastly, fold in the heavy cream.
3. divide the mixture between 12 pre-lined cupcake wells (I used a 1/3 cup measurer to divide it evenly).
4. bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes @ 175°C until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- 125ml heavy cream
- 150g mascarpone
- 20ml champagne
- 125g icing sugar
1. make sure all the ingredients are cold before starting. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl & beat on high speed until it thickens & holds its shape. Be careful not to overbeat otherwise the heavy cream will curdle.
2. decorate your cupcakes with the icing however you please & enjoy!
……..for a full history of our recipes, check out our archives. For the more sensitive tummies, check out our gluten-free archives….. and if you’re just interested in something pretty, check out our designed page.