Finally. Snack FOOD!
I told you I had a craving for pita chips. These things are so deliciously crunchy & perfect for vegging out, watching a little stand up comedy.
Paired with almond & roasted red pepper hummus…. well it’s just divine.
Yea, Mel & I had a little veg. A well deserved putting-up of our exhausted feet. Moving is hard work (especially when one of you is a hoarder, not naming names).
I honestly think I deserve a medal for pulling this off. Trying to cook in our kitchen whilst it looks like an obstacle corse was interesting to say the least. I can’t wait to restore order to it. Looking at all my dishes strewn across the counters is unnerving.
Still, I promised I would do something really good with those gluten-free pita breads we made, & I’m pretty darn good at keeping my promises. Especially when they coincide with my cravings.
Right, back to packing… see you all on the other side of the move! xxx
- 300g (1.5 cups) raw, skinless almonds
- 145g (approx. 2) sweet, red pepper
- 200g (0.75 cup + 1 tbs) tahini
- 4 cloves garlic
- 0.25 tsp cumin
- 0.50 tsp salt
- 60ml (0.25 cup) lemon juice
- 90ml (0.25 cup + 3 tbs) water
- 60ml (0.25 cup) olive oil + more to decorate
- paprika to decorate
1. soak the almonds in water for 24 hours.
2. wash the red pepper, remove the stem & seeds, brush with oil & roast for about 20 minutes @ 200ºC (390ºF) (poke with a fork, if the flesh is soft, it’s done). Allow the pepper to cool, remove the skin (it should slide off easily) & chop into pieces. Discard the skin.
3. drain the almonds & put in a food processor along with the red pepper, tahini, garlic, cumin, salt, lemon, water & olive oil. Pulse until smooth & creamy.
4. put in the bowl you wish to serve, drizzle with oil & sprinkle with paprika.
Ingredients, pita chips:
- 6 to 8 gluten-free pita breads
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
Directions, pita chips:
1. preheat the oven to 175ºC (350ºF).
2. cut your pita breads into 8 wedges & then divide then pull the wedges in half. Place the pieces on a baking tray rough side up & brush with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt & pepper.
3. bake for 6 to 10 minutes until golden & crunchy. Allow to cool before serving.
……..for a full history of our recipes, check out our archives. For the more sensitive tummies, check out our gluten-free archives….. and if you’re just interested in something pretty, check out our designed page.