The thing we all love most about single serving desserts, is the complete lack of mess. There aren’t any big knives or extra washing. There’s just the one, neatly packaged dessert in the perfect serving portion ready for us to devour…. at least that’s what we all tell ourselves.
….try reminding yourself of that once you’ve scoffed down the 5th or 6th one in the last hour!
Alas, no will power.
So I’m sure I’ve mentioned (but there’s never any harm of mentioning it again) that I’m in London. As of tomorrow afternoon at 16:50 I will have officially been here for a full week. That’s seven complete days, or 168 hours.
I was lucky enough that in my first few days back there was plenty of sunshine to be had… even if the forecast did say rain. Alas, today though the English weather has caught up with me & it’s been one of those typically cold, damp, humid summer days that one becomes so accustomed to when living here. I will say this though, London when the sun is out is just magical.
However, I digress. We aren’t hear to talk about the beauty of rays of sunshine highlighting the accents on gorgeous English architecture carved from limestone, but rather the way a little cinnamon can bring a hint of comfort & naughtiness on an otherwise gloomy looking day. A trace of coconut creeping up in the background & a wonderfully creamy frosting.
I hereby proclaim today a pajama & cupcake day. So it has been done! And the best part, it’s all gluten-free!
The down side to London is that there’s no Mel in London. I miss my beast of a man & our terror of a dog. Oh my little Sushi. London will bring good things though, I hope.
On to the recipe!
- 2 eggs
- 50g (3tbs + 1tsp) buttermilk
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
- 190g (0.75 cup) sunflower oil
- 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g (2 cups) fresh carrot, grated
- 60g (0.75 cup) shredded coconut
- 250g (2 cups) buckwheat flour
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 0.75 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
1. combine the eggs, buttermilk, sugar, oil & vanilla in a bowl & beat with a hand held mixer for a couple of minutes until properly combined. Add in the coconut & carrot & beat until incorporated.
2. in a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder & cinnamon & beat for a minute to aerate the mix. Add it to the wet ingredients & beat until combined.
3. preheat an oven to 165ºC. Line two cupcake tins with 15 wrappers of your choice & then using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, fill the wells. Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- 200g (1 cup minus 1 tbs) cream cheese
- 50g (0.25 cups) unsalted butter, room temp
- 300g (2 cups) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp honey
- 50g (0.25 cups) walnuts, chopped & roasted
1. combine the ingredients together in a bowl, and beat on high speed with a mixer until all the lumps are out & it begins to become light, fluffy & creamy.
2. the cupcakes can either be iced by hand, or with a pipping nozzle of your choice. Once iced, top with a sprinkle of roasted walnuts & enjoy.
* All recipes on this site were created & tested based on the weight measurement of all ingredients. Any information in provided in ‘cups’ is based off an internet search & may not be 100% accurate. When using ‘cups’ as a measuring tool, please make sure to level all ingredients to ensure that the end result is as close to the original recipe as possible. *
……..for a full history of our recipes, check out our archives. For the more sensitive tummies, check out our gluten-free archives….. and if you’re just interested in something pretty, check out our designed page.